.Amani

.Amani
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Loading...

Twitter~

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Pentecost Fast

So yesterday was the start of the yearly Pentecost fast, which goes on for 10 days until Pentecost Sunday (May 19th this year).




If you remember my post from last year, the Holy Spirit gave direction to the congregation to go on water ONLY during the entire period. Looking back at it now I -want- to say it was a struggle, going without food for 10 days, not getting all the nutrients and stuff I would need ( besides vitamin water), but it was pretty easy for me to bear. When it was first announced the Sunday before, immediately my body felt like it was going through withdrawal from food, but when the actual start of the fast that Friday came, I was mentally prepared for it.

 Luckily enough, I didn't suffer at ALL. As much of a piggy food lover I am, I didn't suffer from hunger pains, headaches, I didn't have any sort of temptation-- I was able to stare at food and not be tempted at all, and trust me, my grandfather was being a real troll that whole time, intentionally eating in my face going "MMMM-MMMMM GOOD!" xD But even he didn't phase me. In the middle of that fast my grandmother ended up going to the hospital for several days and so I had to make food for Opi. Though I was low on energy and the heat made me feel faint pretty easily, I still went through that whole time like a boss.

Unfortunately I think after that fast, I allowed myself to get really piggish again. Not only that, but I wasn't even able to bring myself to do the simple once a week no-food-before-prayer fast. So it was a triumph in one way because I FINISHED THAT FAST, but then a defeat because since then I've allowed my flesh to not submit to spiritual things.

---

This year we got a different charge. This year, the congregation is on a vegetables + water only fast for 10 days, and then as far as scripture, we'd let the holy spirit guide us to whatever scripture it wants us to observe.

The divine inspiration for that came from the first chapter of Daniel:


"1 In the third year of the reign of Jehoiakim king of Judah came Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon unto Jerusalem, and besieged it. 2 And the Lord gave Jehoiakim king of Judah into his hand, with part of the vessels of the house of God: which he carried into the land of Shinar to the house of his god; and he brought the vessels into the treasure house of his god.

3 And the king spake unto Ashpenaz the master of his eunuchs, that he should bring certain of the children of Israel, and of the king's seed, and of the princes; 4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans. 5 And the king appointed them a daily provision of the king's meat, and of the wine which he drank: so nourishing them three years, that at the end thereof they might stand before the king.

6 Now among these were of the children of Judah, Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah: 7 Unto whom the prince of the eunuchs gave names: for he gave unto Daniel the name of Belteshazzar; and to Hananiah, of Shadrach; and to Mishael, of Meshach; and to Azariah, of Abednego.

8 But Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself with the portion of the king's meat, nor with the wine which he drank: therefore he requested of the prince of the eunuchs that he might not defile himself.

9 Now God had brought Daniel into favour and tender love with the prince of the eunuchs. 10 And the prince of the eunuchs said unto Daniel, I fear my lord the king, who hath appointed your meat and your drink: for why should he see your faces worse liking than the children which are of your sort? then shall ye make me endanger my head to the king.

11 Then said Daniel to Melzar, whom the prince of the eunuchs had set over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, 12 Prove thy servants, I beseech thee, ten days; and let them give us pulse to eat, and water to drink.13 Then let our countenances be looked upon before thee, and the countenance of the children that eat of the portion of the king's meat: and as thou seest, deal with thy servants.

14 So he consented to them in this matter, and proved them ten days.

15 And at the end of ten days their countenances appeared fairer and fatter in flesh than all the children which did eat the portion of the king's meat16 Thus Melzar took away the portion of their meat, and the wine that they should drink; and gave them pulse.

17 As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams.


The emphasis is really on the last verse, where they were given an extraordinary amount of knowledge and wisdom, that not only being knowledge in general but a heightened sense of reception-- and then of course Daniel's ability to interpret visions and dreams, which is a gift of the Holy Spirit. So taking off of Daniel, we're only supposed to eat vegetables, ground provisions and 'veggiefruit' like pumpkin, yams, corn, avocado, plantains and tomatoes.



Which I have no problem with, since I developed a crack-like craving for avocado. LOL

I've been stocking up on avocado for it's health benefits, either eating it straight, or making guacamole out of it or something. It's definitely going to be a main ingredient for my diet this season. Last night one of our fellow churches came and gave a buttload of onions, potatoes, and carrots for us like they always do, so that made it a bit easier when it comes to produce shopping... when it comes down to it, produce is pretty expensive. Now that I got those, I'm waiting to get kale, spinach, and celery so I can munch the week away without any problems.

I'm just feeling a bit woozy, I guess because my intake has been cut down to like 1/4th, but I'm trying to eat a bit more veggies and getting used to drinking lots of water again so I'll be fine c: Wish me luck ♥





1 comments:

Amani said...

Ive always heard about fasting for Christians,So this post is really cool for me to read.I hope your Grandmothers well :). ^ - ^

Follow Me :3

Links!~