.Amani

.Amani
Powered by Blogger.

Search

Loading...

Twitter~

Thursday, March 14, 2013

Unrest.

Coming home this past Saturday I noticed there was an odd amount of NYPD vehicles in my neighborhood, near the street that I live on. Usually when you see things like that, you assume that maybe they're doing some sort of drug bust, or someone had a domestic issue or whatever. I dismissed the thought and went home.

However, the next day I go on Tumblr and I find these posts:

http://amaninyc.tumblr.com/post/45262928065/bankuei-glitterlion-tal9000

http://amaninyc.tumblr.com/post/45263140326/elonjames-crowd-still-on-52nd-and-church-still


Tension is building in my neighborhood.

A young 16-year-old kid was shot 7 to 11 times by two police officers this past Saturday. The reports still unclear but the police are claiming that he had a weapon. Other witnesses said he didn't. Overall he was well known to be a generally good kid, not into gangs or anything like that, and he was shot dead.

Sunday when I saw the NYPD, I found out through these articles that the reason for the police presence was because the police tried to interrupt a candlelight vigil for the young kid, and the moment the people started talking about protesting, immediately the police got backup in riot gear to intimidate them. Mind you, as far as what is being said, no one escalated the argument to the point of actual fighting.

Since then, there's apparently been protests down the street every evening, demanding answers. Tonight was the worst night of them all.

I'm on the bus on my way home, and the moment I hit Church Ave, you just see hell. It seriously looks like someone called for a bomb threat. NYPD vans.. motorcyclists... helicopters... so many riot gear men... the media is FINALLY THERE, and then even the police commissioner. Doing nothing but intimidating the people and trying to get them to back down.

Instead of answering the people, or the mother of the young boy who was murdered, they're doing this...
http://rt.com/usa/police-flood-brooklyn-neighborhood-238/


The fact that this is escalating, and it's so close to home is getting me worried. I'm afraid that one of these days all hell is going to break loose midday, blocking off my chances of getting to work... or myself or someone like my cousin getting caught in the crossfire, either getting hurt or getting arrested for no reason...

There's a serious flaw in the New York City Police Department. The sad thing is that this whole area can protest, and cause such a stir, but at the end of the day, instead of this being about a boy being wrongfully killed (remember Trayvon Martin last year?), media is going to record this as "the x time the uppity nigs are freaking out". The people who took an oath to protect the people of this city are instead openly acting racist, misogynistic, killing and persecuting people based on looks, raping women and covering up their tracks... Unless something huge happens, that ends up usurping the police commissioner or other people in charge of the city (which of course would involve extreme violence, one way or another, one side or another..), this system of things will not change at all.

I just pray that boy rests in peace...

6 comments:

Amani said...

I've been following your blog for a while now and back on LJ because I think you are a really interesting and creative person. I just want to let you know not everyone believes what the press says and there are people in this world and country who see things in New York, especially lately with the police there, going too far. I don't work for Daily Kos or anything but it's one place (there are more) where people do question what is happening and I know this is something that is on there.

I guess I just want to say that there are people out here who aren't just going along with whatever the press says. I hope the people in New York will stand up with their votes and make changes that will help stop this kind of thing.

Amani said...

Definitely, and I wish more people wouldn't believe in the media. It's a real shame that it's not until 3-4 days later, that a news station actually tried to record something about this. How are you recording so much on the new pope, but not even bothering to even talk about the distress these working-class people are going through?

What most concerns me is the fact that the NYPD are trying to corner the people in this neighborhood... they want to push these people against a wall to shut them up and keep them from continuing on with their fight, and when that person feels pressured enough to retaliate then they round them up and lock them up. It's a shame that the course of events even went this far.

Amani said...

Definitely, and I wish more people wouldn't believe in the media. It's a real shame that it's not until 3-4 days later, that a news station actually tried to record something about this. How are you recording so much on the new pope, but not even bothering to even talk about the distress these working-class people are going through?

What most concerns me is the fact that the NYPD are trying to corner the people in this neighborhood... they want to push these people against a wall to shut them up and keep them from continuing on with their fight, and when that person feels pressured enough to retaliate then they round them up and lock them up. It's a shame that the course of events even went this far.



And it's not even like this area is a ghetto or anything like that-- this is a relatively safe neighborhood full of PoC, barely any violence, but they're still being treated like they're less than anything.

Amani said...

That's horrible! I ain't seeing this kind of thing in the news. This kid had his whole life ahead of him, its really sad. It pisses me off because it seems like the police used their authority to wrongfully kill this boy. Even if he did have a weapon 7-11 shots is overkill. I pray for this poor boy and his family.

Amani said...

That so depressing!
And you'd think that since New York has such a high population and diverse number of people, that the police force would be better there, than in other states, since they be more familair with people. That's how I think, but guess I'm wrong. :- /

Amani said...

Yeah, it's very unfortunate :/ and the protests are still going on. They're planning a mass march on Sunday afternoon.. I don't know how bad it's gonna get from there, but even though the neighborhood has been more calm since the police started trying to crack skulls, I've been seeing more and more undercover police vehicles scattered blocks -farther- from where everything is taking place so... I don't know. I'm just praying that the justice system will finally comply to the people's demands.

Follow Me :3

Links!~